Okay, I know I haven’t really advertised this blog anywhere so no one reads it, but I like the concept of a bunch of questions to answer and Rocking E Cowgirl posted some fun ones, so I’m joining in!
1. What is your earliest, clearest horse memory?
Definitely a lesson on my first instructor’s Penny the Pony, when she decided I was ready to learn to jump and cleared a pile of railroad ties that I did not point her at in order to get to a nice patch of green grass. Typical pony. But I was bit by the jumping bug for good!
2. Describe the perfect summer day.
Big, slow breakfast, some yard work, plentiful lemonade, a trail ride, then ending the day with a cold beverage and reading in a hammock. Ahhhh.
3. Are you reading anything right now? Tell me about it!
The Happy Horse, by Tania Kindersley. Aren’t we always trying to figure out how to make our animals happier? I’m enjoying her writing and learning a lot, and love all the reminders about staying quiet and calm.
4. Do you follow a celebrity (horsey or non) that you’re embarrassed to say fascinates you? Tell me. NOW.
I’m not sure I’m embarrassed about it, but I love Elisa Wallace and her mustangs and OTTBs. I particularly enjoy her Youtube posts. She’s a great ambassador for the sport and I love that she uses mustangs for more than just trail rides and lawn ornaments. I’d love to believe my guy could be an eventer one day!
5. What is your single most biggest horsey dream or goal?
Being able to gallop on the trail feeling like we’re in tune, without being scared. We’re a long way off, but I think we can get there.
6. If you were at Starbucks right now, what would you order?
Just a latte. I like to keep it simple.
7. What is your biggest equine pet peeve?
Snobbery in the sport.
8. With everything going on politically and in the media, tell me, do you follow it religiously? Tune it out? Or something in between?
I can’t obsess over it. Need to take breathers every now and again. I listen to plenty of NPR and read the New Yorker.
9. If you had to show your horse to a song, what would you choose?
I’ve had John Denver’s ‘Wild Montana Skies’ stuck in my head forever. I think that would be a good one, even though the mustang is from Nevada, not Montana. He probably wouldn’t mind.
10. What are you most looking forward to this summer?
Getting into the mountains with my man and critters. I’m worried about camping for the first time, but I think we’ll all love it so need to make a good plan and just do it! Hopefully it happens soon.